Re: Raid 1 (non) performance

dean gaudet wrote:

> i see you have split /var and / on the same spindle... if your /home is on
> / then you're causing extra seek action by having two active filesystems
> on the same spindles.  another option to consider is to make / small and
> mostly read-only and move /home to /var/home (and use a symlink or mount
> --bind to place it at /home).

Yes I have it like this now:
	/var/bind/home on /home type bind (rw,bind,noatime)

> hopefully your swap isn't being used much anyhow.

Zero used, infact.

> try "iostat -kx /dev/sd* 5" and see if the split is causing you troubles
> -- i/o activity on more than one partition at once.

It seems to be roughly the same numbers on the disks.

> turning off write caching is a recipe for disasterous performance on most
> ata disks... unfortunately.  better to buy a UPS and set up nut or apcupsd
> or something to handle shutdown.  or just take your chances.

This is a mail server, I would like it to not lose mail if there is an power outage.
Is there anything one can do without buying more hardware?

Thanks for the feedback,
Magnus

-