Re: Restoring a RAID 5

On Tuesday October 17, hal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have a system with 5 drives: a system/boot drive and a RAID5  composed
> of 3 active drives and a spare (formated in ext3).  The boot/system
> drive died on me the other day and I've restored it, re-installing
> Debian Sarge.  The RAID drives were not effected by the failure.
>
> Now that the system is up and running, I want to restore the RAID.
> I've been searching and tried:
>
> mdadm --examine --scan /dev/hde /dev/hdf /dev/hdg /dev/hdh
>
> and got:
>
> ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid5 num-devices=3
> UUID=d6fd4af2:5e5d0da2:9dec7c5f:ad60c25d
>    devices=/dev/hdf
>
> I'm a little puzzled by this, since I created the drive specifying hde
> first, and would expect mdadm to find that drive and not hdf.  It also
> finds only that one drive and does not seem to see hde or hdg as part
> of the RAID.

The implication of this is that hde, hdg, hdh no longer have valid
raid superblocks.  That is a bit of a worry.

> When I type the same for any other drive, I get (depending on the drive
> letter):
>
> mdadm: No super block found on /dev/hdg (Expected magic a92b4efc, got
> 00000000)
>
> Is this correct?  Is there only one superblock and not one per drive?
> (I may have misunderstood that.)

There should be one per drive.  Something has happened to those
drives.

Is there any chance they are on a different controller which maybe
sees them as a different size, or something weird like that?

Maybe trying re-arranging where the drives are plugged in and see what
"mdadm --examine /dev/xxx" says in each configuration.  Somehow you
need to find those other superblocks before you can assemble your
array.

NeilBrown
-