Re: BUGS: internal bitmap during array create

On Wednesday October 11, estair@xxxxxxx wrote:

> After realizing my stupid error in specifying the bitmap during array
> creation, I've triggered a couple of 100% repeatable bugs with this
> scenario.
>

> BUG 1)
>

> Strangely, whatever the underlying cause is, ext3 seems immune (at least
> in brief testing) to this.  I can create and mount an ext3 filesystem on
> top of the array that xfs dies trying to mount.
>
> In the case where the array is created with bitmap at build time, if I
> wait until resync is completed, do a 'mdadm -Gb none' followed by 'mdadm
> -Gb internal', I can then safely create the XFS filesystem and mount
> it.

Can you get me the output of
   mdadm -X some-component-device
both after the creation with a bitmap, and after the bitmap has been
hot-removed and hot-added.
Just for good measure, include the "mdadm -E" output at the same
times.

> BUG 2)
>
> Another bitmap failure during create time:  MDADM dies with an error
> after creating the array, when it tries to assemble it, with an
> external-file bitmap (on ext3):
>

>      [root@gtmp01 GTMP]# mdadm -C /dev/md0 -f --chunk=512 --level=10
> -n14 -po2 -e1.2 -bESC[1P^M[root@gtmp01 GTMP]# mdadm -C /dev/md0 -f
> --chunk=512 --level=10 -n14 -po2 -e1.2 -b/var/tmp/bitmap /dev/mapper/mpath*
>      mdadm: RUN_ARRAY failed: Cannot allocate memory
>      mdadm: stopped /dev/md0

I thought I had fixed this in 2.5, but on reflection that might not
fixed it for 64bit hosts. Can you try explicitly setting the
--bitmap-chunk size such that there will be fewer than 1,000,000
chunks?

NeilBrown
-