Re: how to set stride / raid-howto still up to date?

"stride=stripe-size
                         Configure  the  filesystem  for  a  RAID  array with
                         stripe-size filesystem blocks per stripe."

my understanding (hey, I even had a quick look at the source) is that
you want blocksize * stripe-size = raid-stripe-size, where the latter is chunksize * num-data-elements.

So, what is stripe size anyway? The same as chunk size?

I don't know whether there's any agreed-on terminology.  mke2fs wants to know
how many fs-blocks it'll take to span a whole set of raid chunks. that is, a write of X will hit all the disks in parallel. writes that are full-stripe
(and aligned) don't require the read-mod-write cycle.

So going with -b 4096 for the ext3 with a 32k chunk size still comes down to a
stride of 8, correct?

no, I don't think so - I think it should be chunksize*ndatadisks/fsblocksize...
-