Re: Please help me save my data

On 9/8/06, martin.kihlgren@xxxxxxxxxx <martin.kihlgren@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So, what I want to do is:

 * Mark the synced spare drive as working and in position 1
 * Assemble the array without the unsynced spare and check if this
   provides consistent data
 * If it didnt, I want to mark the synced spare as working and in
   position 3, and try the same thing again
 * When I have it working, I just want to add the unsynced spare and
   let it sync normally
 * Then I will create a write-intent bitmap to avoid the dangerously
   long sync times, and also buy a new USB controller hoping that it
   will solve my problems

You can recreate the raid array with 1 missing disk, like this:

mdadm -C /dev/md1 /dev/sdn1 /dev/sdX1 /dev/sdn1 /dev/sdn1 missing

The ordering is relevant, raid-disks 0,1,2,3,4 or so. beware, you have
to have block size and symmetry correct, so better backup mdadm
--examine and --detail output beforehand.

This create op causes no sync (no danger data overwrites), as there is
still the one drive missing, but raid-superblocks are rewritten.

(On a sidenote, i'm uncertain if a bitmap helps in the case of
single-device remove-add cycle? I thought it was only for crashes, at
least for now..)
-