Re: checking md device parity (forced resync) - is it necessary?

John Stoffel wrote:
Tomasz> Lately I installed Debian on a Thecus n4100 machine.  It's a
Tomasz> 600 MHz ARM storage device, and has 4 x 400 GB drives.

Interesting box... how quiet is it?

I can't tell you if it's quiet or not, it's in the server room right now, and serves as a backup and iSCSI storage for Xen.

But as I still configured it and it was on my desk, it seemed a bit louder than a normal PC.
After all, it has 4 drives (which you have to buy separately).

I'm thinking of one of these for
home use, but I'll probably go with an EPIA box so I can actually
setup a NFS/CiFS/backup/http/mysql server...

Although it has two gigabit network cards, you can't fully use them - the IXP3xx ARM CPU (600 MHz) allows you to only send about 25 MB/s of packets (measured on a loopback interface, so iSCSI LAN speeds are a bit lower).

I've looked at the Irfant and the Buffalo Logic ones as well... all
tempting.  But backups are the killer.  :]

There's also Thecus n5200, 800 MHz mobile Celeron, which you can supply with 5 drives... :)

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org