Re: Care and feeding of RAID?

Benjamin Schieder <blindcoder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have made the experience that long tests slow down the raid to a point
> where the system becomes unusable.

Even though we're quite off-topic here with that since it's more
SMART-related... this is at least unusual.
I'm also running regular SMART selftests (short daily, long weekly) and
usually they don't affect drive's performance very much. However,
whenever I experienced massive slow-downs while selftests are running,
this did always point to disk problems... too much (and strategic
disadvantageous) reallocated sectors (keep an ear on the disks, hear
them seek()ing :)), non-reallocatable sectors or just temperature (for
example, WD drives tend to show a bad performance when getting too hot).

regards
   Mario
--
But after a while I learned the trick of speaking fast. You don't have
to think any faster; just use twice as many words to say everything.

-