Re: RAID over Firewire

2006/8/23, Richard Scobie <richard@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
Has anyone had any experience or comment regarding linux RAID over ieee1394?

I've been successfully running a 4x250Gb Raid5 over ieee1394 with XFS on top.
The 4 drives are sharing the same ieee1394 bus, so the bandwidth is
awfull, because they have to share 20Mb/s.
It happens from time to time that one drive is temporary lost, so I
must re-add it and resync... (I would have liked to put a bitmap on
it, but I get an oops... I did not have time to give it a closer look
yet).

As a budget backup solution, I am considering using a pair of 500GB
drives, each connected to a firewire 400 port, configured as a linear
array, to which the contents of an onboard array will be rsynced weekly.

I would really suggest you to study a 3-drive raid5 scenario, because
the risk of temporary loosing a disk is not neglectible... Regarding
to the cost of an extra disk.

That was my 2cents..
-