Re: remark and RFC

"Also sprach ptb:"
> 4) what the network device driver wants to do is be able to identify
>    the difference between primary requests and retries, and delay
>    retries (or repeat them internally) with some reasonable backoff
>    scheme to give them more chance of working in the face of a
>    brownout, but it has no way of doing that.  You can make the problem
>    go away by delaying retries yourself (is there a timedue field in
>    requests, as well as a timeout field?  If so, maybe that can be used
>    to signal what kind of a request it is and how to treat it).

If one could set the

    unsigned long start_time;

field in the outgoing retry request to now + 1 jiffy, that might be
helpful.  I can't see a functionally significant use of this field at
present in the kernel ...  ll_rw_blk rewrites the field when merging
requests and end_that_request then uses it for the accounting stats
(duration) __disk_stat_add(disk, ticks[rw], duration) which will add a
minus 1 at worst.

Shame there isn't a timedue field in the request struct.

Silly idea, maybe.

Peter
-