Re: Making bootable SATA RAID1 array in Mandriva 2006

On 16 Aug 2006, Justin Piszcz murmured woefully:

> -- snip --
>
> If you are using a custom compiled kernel, why on earth would you want to use an initrd?
> -

Lack of understanding of initramfs? :) it's new and many distros don't
use it yet, so I can understand a bit of confusion.

Andy, you might want to look at
<http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/RAID_Boot> for the initramfs setup
I use, based around uClibc and busybox. It can fsck-and-mount root
stored on RAID+LVM or on LVM alone, and with small adjustments should be
able to boot RAID alone with no LVM involved (I'll make those changes
shortly, I just haven't needed them myself).

--
`We're sysadmins. We deal with the inconceivable so often I can clearly
 see the need to define levels of inconceivability.' --- Rik Steenwinkel