Re: Kernel panic during resync

Neil Brown wrote:
On Friday August 11, pwaldo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi all,

I've got a machine with a RAID6 array which hung on me yesterday.  Upon
reboot, mdadm refused to start the array, since it was degraded and
dirty.  The array had 7 drives, and one had previously gone bad.  I'm
running Fedora Core 5.

I rebooted, using the "md-mod.start_dirty_degraded=1" parameter.
Everything seemed to be OK--the sync process started and I watched it go
for about half an hour.  I came back later, and found the machine had a
kernel panic with the message "Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal
exception in interrupt".  Just to make sure, I restarted and tried to
sync again, but got the same message.

What might be causing this?  Is there any way to recover?  Thanks in
advance!

It is very hard to say without more details.
Was there any stack trace?  Any other possibly related messages that
you can report?

And what kernel (exactly) are you using?

NeilBrown

Hi Niel,

Thanks for the reply. I resolved the issue by using a different disk. I had a suspicion that the disk might have some problems, but I figured that the sync process would work around it and give at least a warning or give me a message saying that the disk was unusable. I wasn't expecting a panic :-O

My recollection of the stack trace was the problem was in a raid6-buffer-flush type of place. Sorry I don't have any more info for you...

Paul
-