RE: RAID-10 and 4 HDDs - how many HDDs can break without loosing data?

I'm not sure if the kernel raid10 module is the same as building a RAID0
md device out of multiple RAID1 devices.

We used to use the later to create a RAID10 device by striping Linux SW
RAID1 devices.  We had great luck creating a RAID10 array out of a large
number of disk spindles.

So in your /etc/raidtab (or /etc/mdadm.conf) your RAID0 /dev/md2 would
consist of striping across /dev/md0 and /dev/md1.  In your diagram below
your HDD1 and HDD2 would be mirrored to create either md0 or md1 and
HDD3 and HDD4 would then be the other md device.

I know how that works and it worked reliably for me so that's what I
would recommend doing.

BTW, you could only survive a 2 disk failure if they were the "correct"
2 disks.  If both HDD1 and HDD2 would fail then you would be out of
luck.  Again, I've never used the kernel raid10 module, and I haven't
been able to find any good (visual) information on the module to be able
to determine how the module would survive disk failures.  I would assume
it's the same as the striping of RAID1 devices that I described above,
but I don't like to assume ;)

Good luck,
Andy.