Re: Resizing RAID-1 arrays - some possible bugs and problems

On 8/07/2006 10:12 a.m., Neil Brown wrote:
On Saturday July 8, reuben-lkml@xxxxxxxx wrote:

And lastly, I felt brave and decided to plunge ahead, resize to 128 blocks smaller than the device size. mdadm --grow /dev/md1 --size=

The kernel then went like this:

md: couldn't update array info. -28
VFS: busy inodes on changed media.
md1: invalid bitmap page request: 150 (> 149)
md1: invalid bitmap page request: 150 (> 149)
md1: invalid bitmap page request: 150 (> 149)

Oh dear, that's bad.

I guess I didn't think through resizing of an array with an active
bitmap properly... :-(
That won't be fixed in a hurry I'm afraid.
You'll need to remove the bitmap before the grow and re-add it
afterwards, which isn't really ideal. I'll look at making this more robust when I return from vacation in a
week or so.

NeilBrown

Thanks for the response and references to the manpage, Neil. I had misread the reference to 'max' and not realised it was a keyword/option that could be passed to --size.

I disabled bitmaps and the machine went into a bit of a spin. It returned immediately at the prompt when I removed the bitmap (--bitmap=none) but each session locked up as soon as I attempted any sort of disk I/O, ie attempting things like 'df' or using 'less' which is mounted on the root filesystem on md0 which is one I was disabling bitmaps on. I had to power cycle the box to get a response from it.

Nothing was logged in /var/log/messages so unfortunately I've not anything to work with on it. But I guess it further suggests that it was the disk I/O that did fall over.

Then I rebooted into single user mode, noticed that the system had in fact removed the bitmaps, and did my resize using --size=max. It worked! Now I can move on to resizing the filesystems themselves.

In other news, last night I requested an upgrade of mdadm in Fedora Core/Devel and this has since been done, so 2.5.2 should come through tonight in the nightly FC build (and of course be in FC6 when it comes out).

reuben

-