Re: zeroing old superblocks & upgrading...

On Thursday July 6, john@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Neil,
>
> First off, thanks for all your hard work on this software, it's really
> a great thing to have.
>
> But I've got some interesting issues here.  Though not urgent.  As
> I've said in other messages, I've got a pair of 120gb HDs mirrored.
> I'm using MD across partitions, /dev/hde1 and /dev/hdg1.  Works
> nicely.
>
> But I see that I have an old superblock sitting around on /dev/hde
> (notice, no partition here!) which I'd like to clean up.

> I can't seem to zero it out:
>
>   # mdadm --misc --zero-superblock /dev/hde
>   mdadm: Couldn't open /dev/hde for write - not zeroing
>
> Should I just ignore this, or should I break off /dev/hde from the
> array and scrub the disk and then re-add it back in?

You could ignore it - it shouldn't hurt.
But if you wanted to (and were running a fairly recent kernel) you
could
  mdadm --grow --bitmap=internal /dev/md0
  mdadm /dev/md0 --fail /dev/hde1 --remove /dev/hde1
  mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/hde
  mdadm /dev/md0 --add /dev/hde1
  mdadm --grow --bitmap=none /dev/md0

and it should work with minimal resync...

Though thinking about it - after the first --grow, check that the
unwanted bitmap is still there.  It is quite possible that the
internal bitmap will over-write the unwanted superblock (depending on
the exact size and aligment of hde1 compared with hde).
If it is gone, then don't bother with the rest of the sequence.

> Also, can I upgrade my superblock to the latest version with out any
> problems?

The only problem with superblock version numbers is that they are
probably confusing.  If you don't worry about them, they should just
do the right thing.

NeilBrown
-