Re: Strange intermittant errors + RAID doesn't fail the disk.

On Friday June 30, pernegger@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> More problems ...
>
> As reported I have 4x WD5000YS (Caviar RE2 500 GB) in a md RAID5
> array. I've been benchmarking and otherwise testing the new array
> these last few days, and apart from the fact that the md doesn't shut
> down properly I've had no problems.
>
> Today I wanted to finally copy some data over, but I after 5sec I got:
>
> [...]
> ata2: port reset, p_is 8000000 is 2 pis 0 cmd 44017 tf d0 ss 123 se 0
> ata2: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
> sdc: Current: sense key: No Sense
>     Additional sense: No additional sense information
> ata2: handling error/timeout
> ata2: port reset, p_is 0 is 0 pis 0 cmd 44017 tf 150 ss 123 se 0
> ata2: status=0x50 { DriveReady SeekComplete }
> ata2: error=0x01 { AddrMarkNotFound }
> sdc: Current: sense key: No Sense
>     Additional sense: No additional sense information
> [repeat]
>
> All processes accessing the array hang and can't even be killed by
> kill -9, but md does not mark the disk as failed.

Looks very much like a problem with the SATA controller.
If the repeat look you have shown there is an "infinite" loop, then
presumably some failure is not being handled properly.

I suggest you find a SATA related mailing list to post this to (Look
in the MAINTAINERS file maybe) or post it to linux-kernel.

I doubt this is directly related to the raid code at all.

Good luck :-)

NeilBrown

-