Re: Large single raid and XFS or two small ones and EXT3?

Andreas Dilger wrote:

>On Jun 23, 2006  17:01 +0300, Al Boldi wrote:
>

>>Chris Allen wrote:

>Please use "mke2fs -O dir_index" or "tune2fs -O dir_index" when testing
>ext3 performance for many-files-in-dir.  This is now the default in
>e2fsprogs-1.39 and later.

for ext3 use (on unmounted disks):
tune2fs -O has_journal -o journal_data /dev/{disk}
tune2fs -O dir_index /dev/{disk}

if data is on the drive, you need to run a fsck afterwards and it uses a
good bit of ram, but it makes ext3 a good bit faster.

and my main points for using ext3 is still: "it's a very mature fs,
nobody will tell you such horrible storys about data-lossage with ext3
than with any other filesystem."
and there are undelete tools for ext3.

so if you're for data-integrity (i guess you are, else you would not use
raid, or? ;) ), use ext3 and if you need the last single kb/s get a
faster drive or use lots of them with a good raid-combo and/or use a
separate disk for the journal (man 8 tune2fs)

my 0.5 cents,
greets chris

ps. but you know, filesystem choosage is not pure science, it's
half-religion :D