Re: Ok to go ahead with this setup?

> Pentium D 930

HPA recently said that x86_64 CPUs have better RAID5 performance.

Good to know. I did intend to use Debian-amd64 anyway.

Is it a NAS kind of device?

Yes, mostly. It also runs a caching NNTP proxy and drives our
networked audio players :)
Personal file server describes it best, I think.

In that case, drop the 2x 300GB disks and get 6x 500GB instead.  You
can partition those so that you have a RAID1 spanning the first 10GB
of all 6 drives for use as the system partition, and use the rest in a
RAID5.

Good idea, it's just that I already have the listed disks, and I need
at least 150 GB effective capacity on the mirror for important work
data, not just the OS. Anything specific wrong with the Maxtors?

> * Should I use the 300s as a single mirror, or span multiple ones over
> the two disks?

What would the purpose be?

I read somewhere that this could reduce rebuild time when a "disk"
(partition in this case) is kicked offline because of a timeout or
somesuch. Sounds a bit fishy, which is why I'm asking.

> * Am I even correct in assuming that I could stick an array in another
> box and have it work?

Work for what?

Well, access to the data. The point of the whole exercise is that I
don't want to be cut off from my data, just because a part of the host
(not the disks) died.

Get gigabit nics, in case you want to fiddle with iSCSI? :-)

The board has one or two Intel Gb NICs, they usually work fine ...

And iSCSI sounds way too expensive. :)

Thanks,

C.
-