Re: Raid5 software problems after loosing 4 disks for 48 hours

On Friday June 16, wilson150@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> And is there a way if more then 1 disks goes offline, for the whole
> array to be taken offline? My understanding of raid5 is loose 1+ disks
> and nothing on the raid would be readable. this is not the case here.

Nothing will be writable, but some blocks might be readable.

> All the disks are online now, what do I need to do to rebuild the array?

Have you tried
  mdadm --assemble --force /dev/md0 /dev/sd[bcdefghijklmnop]1
??
Actually, it occurs to me that that might not do the best thing if 4
drives disappeared at exactly the same time (though it is unlikely
that you would notice)
You should probably use
 mdadm --create /dev/md0 -f -l5 -n15 -c32  /dev/sd[bcdefghijklmnop]1
This is assuming that  e,f,g,h were in that order in the array before
they died.
The '-f' is quite important - it tells mdadm not recover a spare, but
to resync the parity blocks.

NeilBrown
-