Re: IBM xSeries stop responding during RAID1 reconstruction

Niccolo Rigacci wrote:

Hi to all,

I have a new IBM xSeries 206m with two SATA drives, I installed a Debian Testing (Etch) and configured a software RAID as shown:

Personalities : [raid1]
md1 : active raid1 sdb5[1] sda5[0]
     1951744 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md2 : active raid1 sdb6[1] sda6[0]
     2931712 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md3 : active raid1 sdb7[1] sda7[0]
     39061952 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1] sda1[0]
     5855552 blocks [2/2] [UU]

I experience this problem: whenever a volume is reconstructing (syncing), the system stops responding. The machine is alive, because it responds to the ping, the console is responsive but I cannot pass the login prompt. It seems that every disk activity is delayed and blocking.

When the sync is complete, the machine start to respond again perfectly.

Any hints on how to start debugging?

I ran into a similar problem using kernel 2.6.16.14 on an ASUS motherboard: When I mirrored two SATA drives it seemed to block all other disk I/O until the sync was complete.

My symptoms were the same: all consoles were non-responsive and when I tried to login
it just sat there until the sync was complete.

I was able to work around this by lowering /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_max to a value
below my disk thruput value (~ 50 MB/s) as follows:

$ echo 45000 > /proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_max

That kept my system usable but didn't address the underlying problem of the raid resync not being appropriately throttled. I ended up configuring my system differently
so this became a moot point for me.

Hope this helps,
Bill

-