Re: Problems with device-mapper on top of RAID-5 and RAID-6

On 2 Jun 2006, Uwe Meyer-Gruhl uttered the following:
> Neil's suggestion indicates that there may be a race condition
> stacking md and dm over each other, but I have not yet tested that
> patch. I once had problems stacking cryptoloop over RAID-6, so it
> might really be a stacking problem. We don't know yet if LVM over RAID
> is affected as well.

I've been running LVM on RAID (spanning two RAID-5 arrays) for some time
now and have had no trouble (that I know of: a check just completed OK,
so the RAID layer at least is consistent). The arrays have both IDE and
SCSI (sym53c875) components.

Of course this is a subtle and intermittent problem so this is hardly
a green light :/

--
`Voting for any American political party is fundamentally
 incomprehensible.' --- Vadik