Re: Does software RAID take advantage of SMP, or 64 bit CPU(s)?

On 23 May 2006, Neil Brown noted:
> On Monday May 22, talbotx@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> A few simple questions about the 2.6.16+ kernel and software RAID.
>> Does software RAID in the 2.6.16 kernel take advantage of SMP?
>
> Not exactly.  RAID5/6 tends to use just one cpu for parity
> calculations, but that frees up other cpus for doing other important
> work.

To expand on this, that depends on how many RAID arrays you've got,
since there's one parity-computation daemon per array.

If you have several arrays and are writing to them at the same time,
or several arrays and some are degraded, then several md*_raid*
daemons might be working at once.

But that's not very likely, I'd guess. (I have multiple RAID-5 arrays,
but that's only because I'm trying to get useful RAIDing on multiple
disks of drastically different size.)

--
`On a scale of 1-10, X's "brokenness rating" is 1.1, but that's only
 because bringing Windows into the picture rescaled "brokenness" by