Re: hardware raid 5 and software raid 0 stripe broke.

Neil Brown wrote:
On Thursday May 11, Ken@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
We have a Linux box running redhat 7.2 We have two hardware controllers in it with about 500gig's each. They're raid 5. We were using a software raid to combine them all together. 1 hard drive went down so we replaced it and now the system won't boot. We have used a Knoppix boot cd to get into a linux system. We can see /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1. However, /dev/md0 cannot be accessed. Is there a safe way to create the software raid from the cd to see if maybe mdadm on the original system got corrupt? any help would be greatly appreciated.

What booted off knoppix, what does

 mdadm -E /dev/sda1
 mdadm -E /dev/sdb1

produce?

How about
  mdadm -A /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

NeilBrown

Thank you for your response Neil. We got it up and running again. I don't remember what we did though. We've been going on no sleep all week trying to setup a new server and right before the old one crashed we were all ready to go home and take a little rest.

Thanks again.

--Ken
-