Re: RAID5 - 4 disk reboot trouble.

After some more tests:

A running system with a correct raid system will not have any trouble rebooting and re-assembling.
but a system without one of the disks also crashes the raid in a reboot.

I know we should have a fully 4 disk synchronized raid system. But it seems to me it should still be able to assemble a raid system without the forth disk, multiple times. Is there something that I should change in my configuration or any things I can do to prevent this?

Guido.

Correct System print:
[root@localhost ~]# mdadm --detail /dev/md0
/dev/md0:
       Version : 00.90.03
 Creation Time : Thu May 11 12:05:31 2006
    Raid Level : raid5
    Array Size : 732419136 (698.49 GiB 750.00 GB)
   Device Size : 244139712 (232.83 GiB 250.00 GB)
  Raid Devices : 4
 Total Devices : 4
Preferred Minor : 0
   Persistence : Superblock is persistent

   Update Time : Thu May 11 13:36:45 2006
         State : clean
Active Devices : 4
Working Devices : 4
Failed Devices : 0
 Spare Devices : 0

        Layout : left-symmetric
    Chunk Size : 64K

          UUID : 32c52389:27a260ee:ed154946:5e56f4ed
        Events : 0.4

   Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
      0       8        1        0      active sync   /dev/sda1
      1       8       17        1      active sync   /dev/sdb1
      2       8       33        2      active sync   /dev/sdc1
      3       8       49        3      active sync   /dev/sdd1

Does not have this problem.

Missing a drive print:
/dev/md0:
       Version : 00.90.03
 Creation Time : Thu May 11 12:05:31 2006
    Raid Level : raid5
   Device Size : 244139712 (232.83 GiB 250.00 GB)
  Raid Devices : 4
 Total Devices : 3
Preferred Minor : 0
   Persistence : Superblock is persistent

   Update Time : Thu May 11 14:09:09 2006
         State : active, degraded
Active Devices : 3
Working Devices : 3
Failed Devices : 0
 Spare Devices : 0

        Layout : left-symmetric
    Chunk Size : 64K

          UUID : 32c52389:27a260ee:ed154946:5e56f4ed
        Events : 0.455

   Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
      0       8        1        0      active sync   /dev/sda1
      1       8       17        1      active sync   /dev/sdb1
      2       8       33        2      active sync   /dev/sdc1
      3       0        0        3      removed

Guido Moonen wrote:

Hi,

Computers in the field will be able to complete the whole cycle of recovering and having a redundent array. but this is a situation that can happen, and we are not sure what is causing this problem. I will let one complete the this recovery and try to reproduce this bug. But when a customer will replace one the drives this process is started again and there will be a period where the system is not full proof.

System use:
This system will record (24/7) a single channel and saves the recorded data (MPEG) on a raid device. The system must be able to hold 90 days of recorded material for compliance regulation. When the raid fails users can lose upto 90 days of mpeg which is not acceptable for compliance (They must be able to produce the recorded mpeg for 90 days). So we would like to know if this failure can be avoided, or if there is another configuration which makes it possible to recover from this state.

Guido.

Neil Brown wrote:

On Thursday May 11, guido.moonen@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

I'm running a raid5 system, and when I reboot my raid seems to be failing. (One disk is set to spare and other disk seems to be oke in the detials page but we get a INPUT/OUTPUT error when trying to mount it)

We cannot seem te find the problem in this setup.

         State : clean, degraded, recovering

Do you ever let the recovery actually finish?  Until you do you don't
have real redundancy.

NeilBrown

-

-