Re: RFC: PATCH

On Saturday April 29, stoutman@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> It was annoying to me to have to edit the output of mdadm -Escb
> partitions in order to get a working mdadm.conf file so I wrote a
> patch that allows the output of the above command to be used directly
> as a config file.
>
> Probably still wise to poke the config file before using it in a
> production system, but that goes for anything.
>
> Dennis Stout
>
> Enclosed: mdadm-2.1-Examine_output_fix-1.patch (637bytes)

This is definitely not what you want to do.

(for those who haven't read the patch, it replaces the
          device=/dev/a,/dev/b,...
line that "mdadm -Ebv" shows with
DEVICE /dev/a /dev/b ...
)

The DEVICE line should *NOT* list explicit devices to be checked.  It
should either be
   DEVICE partitions
meaning to check all devices mentioned in /proc/partitions, or it
should be some wildcard list that encompasses everything that could
possibly be relevant. e.g.
   DEVICE /dev/hd*
if you know all your devices are IDE devices and you don't want to
scan SCSI devices for some reason.

This is because in most cases devices names can change after a
reconfiguration and/or reboot and so depending on fixed device names
isn't safe.

The change I have been considering that would "make the output of
-Esb more useful" would be to assume a default DEVICE line of
   DEVICE partitions
if none were given.  This is probably safe and useful.

NeilBrown
-