RE: Two-disk RAID5?

Tuomas,

It doesn't quite work that way.  IN RAID5 implementations the parity is
distributed across disks in a pattern such as this (3 disk case shown):

  Disk 1   Disk 2   Disk 3
  ------   ------   ------
   Data     Data    Parity
   Data    Parity    Data
  Parity    Data     Data

If you lose a disk (or start in degraded mode) you will get the
following pattern (disk 3 shown missing):

  Disk 1   Disk 2
  ------   ------
   Data     Data
   Data    Parity
  Parity    Data

If data needs to be read that was on disk 3, then the data and parity
from disk 1 and 2 are read and the data is reconstructed from that
information.  A similar strategy is used for writing.  As a result there
is a performance hit for reading/writing data that resides on disk 3.

Note that the loss of 1 more disk renders the RAID 5 set inoperable, as
it will no longer be possible to reconstruct data that was on either of
the missing disks.  Most raid controllers will give up and assume that
you rather treat this as a dead device than take into account the
possibility that you might want some of the data from the remaining
disks.  Thus the real risk of running in degraded mode is that all data
can be lost.

It is not possible to flip a bit to change a set of disks from RAID 1 to
RAID 5, as the physical layout is different.

Cheers,

Frank