Re: Problem with 5disk RAID5 array - two drives lost

First let me say - thank you for responding. I'm still trying to figure out this problem.

On Apr 21, 2006, at 8:54 PM  Apr 21, 2006, Molle Bestefich wrote:

Tim Bostrom wrote:
It appears that /dev/hdf1 failed this past week and /dev/hdh1 failed back in February.

An obvious question would be, how much have you been altering the
contents of the array since February?

This is a video backup drive for my MythTV system. I just backup old TV shows and movies from my system. There's maybe 3-4 GB of data that's been stored there since February and no other data's been moved or deleted. Pretty much when something is backed up here, it stays. I'm willing to lose the February - April data.

hdf: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=6720

Actually, there's a lot of sequential sector numbers in the output you posted. I think it's unusual for a drive to develop that many bad blocks in a row.
I could be wrong, and it could be a head crash or something (have you
been moving the system around much?).

But if I had to guess, I'd say that there's a real likelihood that
it's a loose cable or a controller problem or a driver issue.

Could you try and run:
# dd if=/dev/hdf of=/dev/null bs=1M count=100 skip=1234567
You can play around with different random numbers instead of 1234567.
If it craps out *immediately*, then I'd say it's a cable problem or
so, and not a problem with what's on the platters.

Tried running this. It doesn't crap out immediately. Goes along, but I see a bunch of the {Uncorrectable Error} {Drive Ready Seek Complete} errors in dmesg that I posted before. I see these messages in dmesg when I run the above command.

I bought two extra 250GB drives - I'll try using dd_rescue as recommended and see if I can get a "good" copy of hdf online.

No, get the array running first, then fix the filesystem.

You can initiate array checks and repairs like this:
# cd /sys/block/md0/md/
# echo check > sync_action
or
# echo repair > sync_action