Re: Problem with 5disk RAID5 array - two drives lost

Molle Bestefich (molle.bestefich@xxxxxxxxx) wrote on 22 April 2006 05:54:
 >Tim Bostrom wrote:
 >> raid5: Disk failure on hdf1, disabling device.
 >
 >MD doesn't like to find errors when it's rebuilding.
 >It will kick that disk off the array, which will cause MD to return
 >crap (instead of stopping the array and removing the device - I
 >wonder), again causing 'mount' etc. to fail.
 >
 >Quite unfortunate for you, since you have absolutely no redundancy
 >with 4/5 drives, and you really can't afford to have the 4th disk
 >kicked just because there's a bad block on it.

Yes...

As Molle says, you have a chance that it's a driver/cable problem.
What you can also do is dd the disk to another one and try to rebuild
the array with the new disk so that you won't get errors during the
reconstruction. If you get errors during the copy you'll have to
decide what to do with the bad blocks. Some people prefer to use
ddrescue instead of dd; I've never tried it.
-