Re: RAID5 recovery trouble, bd_claim failed?

Hi All,
I'm not sure that is entirely the case. From a hardware perspective, I can access all the disks from the OS, via fdisk and dd. It is really just mdadm that is failing. Would I still need to work the jumper issue?
   Thanks,
   Nate

Maurice Hilarius wrote:
Nathanial Byrnes wrote:
Yes, I did not have the funding nor approval to purchase more hardware
when I set it up (read wife). Once it was working... the rest is
history.

OK, so if you have a pair of IDE disks, jumpered as Master and slave,
and if one fails:

If Master failed, re-jumper remaining disk on pair on same cable as
Master, no slave present

If Slave failed, re-jumper remaining disk on pair on same cable as
Master, no slave present.

Then you will have the remaining disk working normally, at least.

When you can afford it I suggest buying a controller with enough ports
to support the number of drives you have, with no Master/Slave pairing.

Good luck !

And to the  software guys trying to help: We need to start with the
(obvious) hardware problem, before we advise on how to recover data from
a borked system..
Once he has the jumpering on the drives sorted out, the drive that went
missing will be back again..

-