Re: help wanted - 6-disk raid5 borked: _ _ U U U U

Neil Brown wrote:
> It is arguable that for a read error on a degraded raid5, that may not
> be the best thing to do, but I'm not completely convinced.  A read
> error will mean that a write to the same stripe will have to fail, so
> at the very least we would want to switch the array read-only.

That would be much nicer for me as a user, because:
 * I would know which disks are the freshest (the ones marked U).
 * My data wouldn't be abruptly pulled offline - right now I'm getting
*weird* errors from the systems on top of the array.
 * I wouldn't have to try and guess the correct 'mdadm' command to
stop/start the array (including pointing at the right disks).

2 cents ;).

Thanks for the explanation.
-