Re: Can't mount /dev/md0 after stopping a synchronization

> but wouldn't I need to have /dev/md0 available before doing mdadm
> --assemble?  When booting from an initrd image, /dev/md0 is never
> created for some reason..

Sorry, I didn't realize initrd adds to the mix.

> > Note, you should never do any read/write access to the component disks
> > after creating the raid. I guess you know this already, but some
> > wording seemed suspect.
>
> I take it you mean after the disks are synchronized, it's a bad thing
> to write directly to /dev/hda1 or /dev/hdc1... In my case, I've
> written directly to /dev/hdc1, but it's the only disk in the array,
> and I'm going to be resyncing /dev/hda1 anyways, so it seems in this
> instance it's okay?

Correct, unless the disks are already halfway synchronized. Didn't
check this, but IIRC modern-day md remembers how much is synchronized,
it sync is aborted (cleanly).

Glad your problem got solved!

BTW, if you're still having problems with sync speed, try fiddling around with

/proc/sys/dev/raid/speed_limit_min

as the md sync speed detection code is not foolproof (at least lvms as
component devices has fooled it on occasion).
-