Re: mdadm and large RAID

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 at 2:02pm, Cesar Delgado wrote

Here's the story. We purchased a box with ~8TB space. It has 2 fiber connections so, we thought, to maximize throughput into the device we could build 2 RAIDs in hardware, on the box, and export each one out each fiber channel and then create a striped raid of the two devices at the hardware level. Due to the way we created the 2 RAIDs each export is ~3TB.

What we've tried. We tried making a RAID 0 with mdadm over the two devices. There appears and entry en /dev/mdstats showing the RAID. Then we try to put XFS on it, the machine hard locks. We tried formatting each separate device and there were no problems. The machine just hard-locks when I try to put the filesystem on the RAID.

You're missing a lot of vital information: what distribution are you using, what version of mdadm, what fiber adapter, etc.

There's not errors in the logs.  The machine freezes up too quickly.

Have you tried a serial console and or remote syslog?

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering