RE: recovering data on a failed raid-0 installation

RAID0 uses all disks evenly (all 2 in your case).  I don?t see how you can
recover from a drive failure with a RAID0.  Never use RAID0 unless you are
willing to lose all the data!

Are you sure the second disk is dead?  Have you done a read test on the
disk?  dd works well for read testing.  Try this:
dd if=/dev/hdb2 of=/dev/null bs=64k
or
dd if=/dev/hdb of=/dev/null bs=64k

Guy