Re: A random initramfs script

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Neil Brown wrote:
> On Wednesday March 15, maan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> On 08:29, Nix wrote:
>> > Yeah, that would work. Neil's very *emphatic* about hardwiring the UUIDs of
>> > your arrays, though I'll admit that given the existence of --examine --scan,
>> > I don't really see why. :)
>>
>> He likes to compare the situation with /etc/fstab. Nobody complains
>> about having to edit /etc/fstab, so why keep people complaining about
>> having to edit /etc/mdadm.conf?
>
> Indeed!  And if you plug in some devices off another machine for
> disaster recovery, you don't want another disaster because you
> assembled the wrong arrays.

Well, I can't have that go wrong because I assemble all of them :)

One thing I would like to know, though: I screwed up construction
of one of my arrays and forgot to give it a name, so every array
with a V1 superblock has a name *except one*.

Is there a way to change the name after array creation? (Another
overloading of --grow, perhaps?)

(I'm still quite new to md so rather queasy about `just trying'
things like this with active arrays containing critical data.
I suppose I should build a test array on a sparse loopback mount
or something...)

> I would like an md superblock to be able to contain some indication of
> the 'name' of the machine which is meant to host the array, so that
> once a machine knows its own name, it can automatically find and mount
> its own arrays,

... and of course you could request the mounting of some other machine's
arrays if you cart disks around between machines :)

Seems like a good idea.

--
`Come now, you should know that whenever you plan the duration of your
 unplanned downtime, you should add in padding for random management