Re: Auto-assembling arrays using mdadm

As far as I know, "mdadm --assemble --scan" requires
that there be ARRAY lines in the mdadm.conf file.
These lines must list the device node and the UUID of
the array at a minimum.

What I want to achieve is to automatically inspect a
set of disks and start all the RAID arrays found
without the need for any a priori information in the
mdadm.conf file.  I.e. with mdadm.conf as follows:

"
DEVICE /dev/sd*
"

This is the kind of functionality provided by kernel
RAID autodetect.  You don't have to have any config
information provided in advance.  The kernel finds and
assembles all arrays on disks with RAID autodetect
partition type.  I want to do the same thing, but with
mdadm.

Perhaps I am confused.  Has this changed in 2.x?  I am
using version 1.11.0

Sean