Re: SuSE 9.2 and 3ware 8506 card

My thanks to those who responded. I have the 3ware 8506-4LP installed and running with a pair of Maxtor Maxline III drives. I'm out looking for the SmartMonTools suite, per the advice given.

Bonnie++ gives me results like 22034 k/s seq out, char mode, 32660 block mode, 13120 rewrite. Yikes! 91 to 94% cpu utilization for character mode output! I suppose that's pretty inefficient though. More like 35-38% for block, 27% for rewrites.

Tweaking the background task control one step left or right of center towards "Faster Task" or "Faster IO" seems to make a small but measurable difference, but oddly, sequential reads using Bonnie++ were slightly faster when tweaked towards "Faster Task."

I found out something else too, something which I supposed should have been obvious. I started out with ext3 on this array. I wiped it and changed it to xfs, which benchmarks faster, at least as far as Bonnie++ can tell. I guess ext3 is a journaling fs, is it not?

Is there some particular filesystem that's any better than any other for hardware mirrored arrays?

-Tom