Re: raid1 with 1.2 superblock never marked healthy?

	Hello Neil & All ,

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006, Janos Farkas wrote:
On 2006-02-20 at 09:30:22, Neil Brown wrote:
If you use an 'internal' bitmap (which is mirrored across all drives
much like the superblock) then you don't need to specify a file name.
However if you want the bitmap on a separate file, you have to have
that name 'hard coded' in mdadm.conf (or similar).

I was under the impression that mdadm.conf is not extended for this :)
That would be a nice place compared to /etc/rc.d/whatever..

I was considering using external bitmap only because I've been bitten a
few times with journaling filesystems vs. cheap hard disks.  I'm not
sure if a few hard disks are a significant sample, but some of them
started developing bad sectors where the journal is stored.  I hoped
that having an external bitmap would reduce the wear on the mirrored
parts.  This way, if the bitmap (even on the same hard disk) is getting
flawed, probably both of the whole mirrors are intact enough for a last
(additional) backup.
...snip...
	How hard would it be for mdadm & md to allow use of both internal
	and external bitmaps ?  And then mdadm be extended to do a compare
	of an external against a internal when the opertaor askes to do
	so .  Soes this sound reasonable ?  Thoughts ?
	This is probably an edge case I guess .  But it might save
	someones bacon if this functionality was available .
		Tia ,  JimL