Re: shared spare

Bill Davidsen wrote:
One of the things I like about the IBM ServeRAID controller is spare drive shared between two RAID groups. First to fail gets it. For software RAID is this at all in the future?

Hi Bill,

Unless I am misunderstanding something, software RAID has this already.
I have not used it but reading from the mdadm man page in the "Monitor
Mode" section:

"As  well  as  reporting  events, mdadm may move a spare drive from one
array to another if they are in the same spare-group and if the
destination array has a failed drive but not spares."

Regards,

Richard

-