Re: 2.6.15: mdrun, udev -- who creates nodes?

linas wrote:

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 04:40:46PM +0000, Jason Lunz was heard to remark:
md@xxxxxxxx said:
-- kernel scans /dev/hda1, looking for md superblock
-- kernel assembles devices according to info found in the superblocks
-- udev creates /dev/md0, etc.=20
The problem is that some users and distributions build the drivers as
modules and/or disable in-kernel auto-assembly.
Not only that, the raid developers themselves consider autoassembly
deprecated.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/373620

Hmm. My knee-jerk, didn't-stop-to-think-about-it reaction is that this is one of the finest features of linux raid, so why remove it?

Speaking as a real-life sysadmin, with actual servers and actual failed
disks, disk cables and disk controllers, this is a life-saving feature. Persistant naming of devices in Linux has long been a problem, and in
this case, it seemed to work.

<story>
I once had an ide controller fail on an x86 board. I bought a new controller at the local store, recabled the disks, and booted. I was alarmed to find that the system was trying to mount /home as /usr, and /usr as /lib, etc. Turned out that /dev/hdc had gotten renamed as /dev/hde, etc. and had to go through a long,
painful, rocket-science (yes, I *do* have a PhD) boot-floppy rescue
to restore the system to working order.

I shudder to think what would have happened if RAID reconstruction had started based on faulty device names. Worse, as part of my rescue
ops, I had to make multle copies of /etc/fstab, which resided on
different disks (my root volume was raided), as well as the boot floppy, and each contained inconsistent info (needed to bootstrap my way back). Along the way, I made multiple errors in editing the /etc/fstab since I could not keep them straight; twiddling BIOS settings added to the confusion. If this had been /etc/raid.conf instead, with reconstruction triggered off of it, this could have been an absolute disaster.
</story>

Based on the above, real-life experience, my gut reaction is raid assembly based on config files is a bad idea. I don't understand how innocent, "minor" errors made by the sysadmin won't result in catastrophic data loss.

I fear you don't understand how the auto detect and assemble works. Or more to the point what it does, since how it works is somewhat more complex. If you use partitions and UUID, you can just plug in the drives any old place and they will be found and recognised in spite of that. As long as you have a boot drive where the BIOS will use it, mdadm with find your stuff and put it together correctly. Neil does more magic than harry Potter!

I know someone who gave this a real life test, although I'd not say who.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-