RAID 106 array

I was doing some advanced planning for storage, and it came to me that
there might be benefit from thinking outside the box on RAID config.
Therefore I offer this for comment.

The object is reliability with performance. The means is to set up two
arrays on physical devices, one RAID-0 for performance, one RAID-6 for
reliability. Let's call them four and seven drives for the RAID-0 and
RAID-6+Spare. Then configure RAID-1 over the two arrays, marking the
RAID-6 as write-mostly.

The intension is that under heavy load the RAID-6 would have a lot of head
motion going on writing two parity blocks for every one data write, while
the RAID-0 would be doing as little work as possible for writes and would
therefore have more ability to handle reads quickly.

Just a thought experiment at the moment.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
  CTO TMR Associates, Inc

-