Re: Configuring combination of RAID-1 RAID-5

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Enrique Garcia Briones wrote:

> I have read the setting-up for the raid-5 and 1, but I would like to ask you
> if I can set-up a combined RAID configuration as mentioned above, since all
> the examples I found upto now just talk of one RAD configuration

you can have more than one /dev/mdN device no problem...

if you've got a raid1 root disk setup on a box with raid5/6, and you want
to use a journalling filesystem on the raid5/6 you should seriously
consider saving space on the root disk for an external journal for the
raid5/6 filesystem.  it really helps metadata-heavy operations to offload
the journal writes to the raid1 spindles.

-dean
-