Re: Fw: Re: Configuring combination of RAID-1 RAID-5

Hi again...

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:23:35 +0000 (GMT), Gordon Henderson wrote
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Enrique Garcia Briones wrote:
>
> > Thanks Gordon,
> >
> > I will then read and re-read the RAID-6 configuration, and something I
miss
> > to explain, may be is not to be discussed here, is that when I installed
the
> > Linux with the A1000 pulled out everything went out well but, when I
> > reconnect the A1000 the system didn't start up correctly... so my unique
way
> > was to install the Linux in the first hard drive of the A1000 and it
seems
> > to be working fine, Is that alternative functional?
>
> I'd be tempted to remove the A1000 and install on the 2 internal
> drives, then once that's happy, plug the A1000 back in again. It
> might be that the OBP (Open Boot Prom) code is favouring the
> external device to boot off, but it's been a very long time since
> I've dabbled in that. You'd need to push Stop+A at boot time then
> enter some runes at the OK prompt to check/reconfigure the boot device.

I already did that, and modify the boot_device to the first of the internal
hard drives, but, when the Linux tries to came up, it shows an error... that
I cannot remember now. :S

> The A1000 devices I've used had an on-board RAID controller and some
> software that ran under Solaris to configure it, so that might be
> somethign to look into too - to make sure it's doing what you expect
> it to be doing.

The raid controler that you are mentioning is possible to configure it under
Solaris and still have it working with debian??

I was unable to find any good enough documentation regarding the
configuration of raid-6, under debian linux, or similar, I feel like I am
shipwrecked, can anyone aimed me to the correct direction?

Enrique

--
UAdeC
En el Bien fincamos el Saber