Re: 2.6.15: mdrun, udev -- who creates nodes?

On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 09:19:16PM +0100, Molle Bestefich wrote:
> I *think* that "the raid developers" may be, for once, choosing words
> not-so-wisely when talking about "deprecating autoassembly".

You're right, I should be careful not to imply anything Neil didn't
actually say. What he said was:

> From: Neil Brown <neilb <at> suse.de>
> And if other partition styles wanted to add support for raid auto
> detect, tell them "no". It is perfectly possible and even preferable
> to live without autodetect.   We should support legacy usage (those
> above) but should discourage any new usage.

which is a far cry from officially deprecating anything. My point was
that the outlined solution for having udev create /dev/md* nodes could
not work on all platforms because it required raid autodetect, and it
looks unlikely that raid autodetect will be universally supported.

Jason
-