Re: Problems with multiple Promise SATA150 TX4 cards

Mitchell Laks wrote:

Hi,
Thank  you all for all of your work on this topic.

1) I apologize for my email bouncing. I have no real choice in dsl service. Perhaps I will consider cable to prevent my mail bouncing! :)

2) I am able to hang 10 drives on 3 of the Promise SATA150 TX4 cards. So far the construction of 5 raid1's and mkfs.ext3 is ok without kernel error. All 10 drives are recognized by the promise BIOS (it shows drives 0-9) during system turnon. I use two separate 450 W antec power supplies.

If I put on 12 drives, 4 on each one, the promise bios does not let me go further. It hangs. Says something about not able to recognize hardware configuration or something.

This may be a hardware limitation, or even a faulty channel or two or perhaps one/two of the additional drives is not working. I dont know. I did notice this "not booting behavior for TX4" with no adequate hints as to what is going on earlier when i tried to hang a for a non funcioning sata drive on the card that failed right after purchase". I tried 11 drives also and no go. only 8 or less.

Thank you all and I will let you know what i discover..

mitchell laks
-

In the past, I've had boxes that couldn't handle all of the extra PCI requirements of the Promise boards. My newer stuff seemed OK.
Email problem comment sent off-channel, pvt.
b-

-