Re: Need to upgrade to latest stable mdadm version?

On Sunday 22 January 2006 12:49 pm, David Greaves wrote:

> Just FYI
> I am running the *stock* 2.6.15 and get the same problems (ata timeouts
> etc)
>
> I recently wrote to the lkml and ide lists following up an old post.
> No replies yet.
>
> I run sata_via and sata_sil
> (I've seen just a few people with these problems - various kernels -
> all, to my recollection, seem to have two sets of sata controller
> chips.... I wonder....)
>
> I note you say the *sid* kernel doesn't have these problems so I'll try
> that. I just wanted to mention that the problem may exist on stock
> kernels 'cos you talk about rolling your own...
David! you are right!

It does not work with the debian sid 2.6.15 kernel. You were far more
observant than I. I thought that my 2 raids were working with the debian
2.6.15 but in fact it one of the drives had failed out of the  array (thats
why it seemed to work, I hadn't slept enough...).

In fact your diagnosis is completely correct. I cannot get both sata_via and
sata_promise up at the same time, without timeout problems.

I am hereby switching exclusively to sata_promise as I can install multiple
cards on the same machine.

Mitchell

-