Re: Silent Corruption on RAID5

Hi,

Mitchell Laks wrote:
On Sunday 22 January 2006 11:44 am, Michael Barnwell wrote:
Hi,

I'm experiencing silent data corruption on my RAID 5 set of four 400GB
SATA disks.

dd bs=1024 count=10000k if=/dev/zero of=./10GB.tst
od -t x1 s0/10GB.tst

These commands give me one row of zeros on my other RAID 5 set on the

I'm running Debian sarge with a 2.6.15-1 kernel, it has an Athlon
XP2200, 1GB of RAM, Asus A7N8X-Deluxe motherboard, 2 Maxtor IDE
controllers, one Silicon Image 3114 PCI adapter, along with the on-board
Silicon Image 3112 controller - 2x 10GB IDE disks and a DVD ROM drive on
the on-board IDE controller, 3x 120GB Seagate hard disks on the PCI IDE
adapters, 2x 80GB Seagate disks on the on-board SilImg 3112 controller
and finally 4x 400GB disks on the SilImg 3114 PCI adapter.

Dear Michael,

If you look at my recent post and the response from David Greaves, I suspect it is because of the presence of multiple diffferent SATA controllers.

I just tried disabling the on-board SATA controller via the jumper on the motherboard and then recreating the array and file system and the problem happened again.

Could you make a try of running your test with ONLY the SilImg 3114 adapter populated with disks. Also I am not aware if the 3112 and 3114 use different kernel modules, make sure the other one is not loaded.

They use the same module.

I ran your test on my raid1 system with the debian SID 2.6.15 kernel and ran the test on both motherboard sata_via and pci card sata_promise controlled raid devices (i have raid1 though) and had no problem.

I could only run od -t x1 10GB.tst.
what is the "s0 " for? I tried s0 or -s0 and the machine didnt accept that switch for od.

od -t x1 -s0 10GB.tst "od: no type may be specified when dumping strings"

That was a copy and paste error, its just od -t x1 10GB.tst

For what its worth, on my system the Promise controller wipes out the via VT8237 onboard controller. You seem to have the opposite problem.

I tried a BIOS update this morning because it updated the SATA BIOS on the on-board card and allowed me to see both of them during the booting section (the PCI one finds drives and lets me access the SilImg BIOS then the on-board one does the same).

I am afraid that SATA controllers may not yet be stable enough for production.

Are other chipsets better supported?

Mitchell Laks

<snip>

Thanks,