Re: blog entry on RAID limitation

Jeff Breidenbach (jeff@xxxxxxx) wrote on 17 January 2006 00:45:
 >Is this a real issue or ignorable Sun propoganda?

The write-hole exists ONLY when the machine stops without a proper
shutdown AND with an incomplete array (eg. one disk out of the array
in a raid5). Sometimes this happens when the machine crashes or power
goes down and on reboot one disk fails.

If I understand Sun's marketing ZFS always writes full stripes in all
disks, which means the array is never dirty. Therefore the write-hole
indeed doesn't exist.

The problem with the argument is that the write-hole is not so big of
a problem in a well-behaving server because the probability of a crash
and an incomplete array happening simultaneously is very small, so
Sun's feature is not so important.
-