Re: paralellism of device use in md

On Wednesday January 18, francois.barre@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> 2006/1/18, Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe <Mario.Holbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe <Mario.Holbe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > scheduled read-requests. Would it probably make sense to split one
> > > single read over all mirrors that are currently idle?
> >
> > A I got it from the other thread - seek times :)
> > Perhaps using some big (virtual) chunk size could do the trick? What
> > about using chunks that big that seeking is faster than data-transfer...
> > assuming a data rate of 50MB/s and 9ms average seek time would result in
> > at least 500kB chunks, 14ms average seek time would result in at least
> > 750kB chunks.
> > However, since the blocks being read are most likely somewhat close
> > together, it's not a typical average seek, so probably smaller chunks
> > would also be possible.
> >

> > regards
> >   Mario
>
> Stop me if I'm wrong, but this is called... huge readahead. Instead of
> reading 32k on drive0 then 32k on drive1, you read continuous 512k
> from drive0 (16*32k) and 512k from drive1, resulting in a 1M read.
> Maybe for a single 4k page...
>
> So my additionnal question to this would be : how well does md fit
> with linux's/fs readahead policies ?

The read balancing in raid1 is clunky at best.  I've often thought
"there must be a better way".  I've never thought what the better way
might be (though I haven't tried very hard).

If anyone would like to experiment with the read-balancing code,
suggest and test changes, it would be most welcome.

NeilBrown
-