Re: RAID 1 vs RAID 0

Max Waterman wrote:
Mark Hahn wrote:
They seem to suggest RAID 0 is faster for reading than RAID 1, and I can't figure out why.

with R0, streaming from two disks involves no seeks;
with R1, a single stream will have to read, say 0-64K from the first disk, and 64-128K from the second. these could happen at the same time, and would indeed match R0 bandwidth. but with R1, each disk has to seek past
the blocks being read from the other disk.  seeking tends to be slow...

Ah, a good way of putting it...I think I was pretty much there with my followup message.

Still, it seems like it should be a solvable problem...if you order the data differently on each disk; for example, in the two disk case, putting odd and even numbered 'stripes' on different platters [or sides of platters].
I don't think the example above is really that much of an issue. AFAIK, most hard disks will read the current track (all platters) at once as soon as the heads are positioned. It doesn't even wait for the start of the track, it just starts reading as soon as possible and stores all of it in the internal buffer (it will determine the real start of the track by looking for markers in the buffer). It will then return the data from the buffer.

Anyway, the track buffer is quite large because it needs to be able to hold the data from an entire track, which is usually quite a bit larger than the stripe size (I'd say around 1 to 2 MB). It's highly unlikely that your hard disk will need to seek to read 0-64k, then 128-192k, then 256-320k, and so on. There's a good chance that all of that data is stored on the same track and can be returned directly from the buffer. Even if a seek is required, it would only be a seek of 1 track which are relatively fast compared to a random seek.

The only reason I could think of why a mirror would be slower than a stripe is the fact that about twice as many single track seeks are needed when reading huge files. That can be avoided if you increase the size of the reads significantly though (for example, reading the 1st half of the file from one disk, and the 2nd half of the file from the other).

--John

-