Re: "too small for md"

thanks a lot for your quick reply, you live up to your reputation :)

however I sort of randomly decided to just try rebooting, and it
magically worked.  I don't know if I can say this fixed it forever,
but an strace probably won't help now at any rate.  as for my other
ignorances, once the raid was available i figured them out pretty
quickly.

in any case,
chunks:/mnt/raid5# mdadm --version
mdadm - v1.12.0 - 14 June 2005

perhaps things will continue working forever now.. i will be back
later with an strace :)

thanks again

-Jared

-