Re: where is the spare drive? :-)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil Brown" <neilb@xxxxxxx>
To: "JaniD++" <djani22@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <linux-raid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:07 AM
Subject: Re: where is the spare drive? :-)

> On Monday January 2, djani22@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > 5. The question
> >
> > Why shows sdh2 as spare?
> > The MD array size is correct.
> > And i really can see, the all drive is reading, and sdh2 is *ONLY*
writing.

>  man mdadm
>
> Towards the end of the CREATE MODE section:
>
>        When creating a RAID5 array, mdadm will automatically create a
degraded
>        array with an extra spare drive.  This is because  building  the
spare
>        into a degraded array is in general faster than resyncing the
parity on
>        a non-degraded, but not clean, array.  This feature can be
over-ridden
>        with the --force option.
>

> I hope this clarifies the situation.
>
> NeilBrown

Ahh, this was avoid my attention.
The mdadm man page (and functionallity) is quite large.

I think this is more important to let some people to overwrite own data.
I think it is neccessary to place some note to the man page to warn people
about this exception.

Anyway this is a good idea! :-)

Thanks to note me about this.

Cheers,